Tuesday, October 11, 2011

#3: Talk to People!

Today I went to eat lunch at the farmer's market and sat down next to a man on the sidewalk. He was drinking but clean and respectful. We started talking and I told him I liked writing. He said he had tried to write his life stories but he found so much pain in them he couldn't go there, it was like opening a window he needed to keep shut. I've been writing my stories and sometimes feel that desire to stop because I'm approaching a place that hurts a little. Him saying so gave me strength.
He had a lot of other wisdom too:
The most important thing in a relationship is for the two people to be able to communicate with each other.
Trust your intuition to know if you are wronging someone.
Homeless people know a lot because they've lived it, not just read about it.
You must love yourself before you can love another.

I told him he was dressed nice and was wise.
He said I was pretty and mature.
We both admitted we had trouble accepting complements but were working on it. We were both working on self-love. He asked for my number but I declined. We said a friendly good bye.

Talk to people. It doesn't mean you need to give them anything beyond that conversation. Be ready to say no and walk away if the talk goes anywhere you don't want it to. I always used to be afraid of talking to people because I thought they wanted something from me. Now I know what I'm prepared to give. If you know your boundaries unexpected people can have important messages for you and you can share a little joy together! Random people have true things to offer each other if we're open in the right way.

No comments:

Post a Comment